It’s that time of year, and since last year went so well we figured to go ahead and share some of our contributors favorite albums from 2020. This is also a great way to see how diverse all the team members are in their picks. And you better believe it, we will be sharing a total year end Doom Charts list featuring the best scoring albums of the year featured on the charts. Here is our first eager contributor Chris Tighe, who has his own page called The Mighty Decibel. Chris has some heavy taste and represents the heavy underground superbly as evidenced by his list below.
Welcome to Doom Charts, representing some of the finest bloggers, journalists, radio, podcasters and album reviewers from the heavy underground around the globe. Each month, our critics submit their picks for the best new doom, sludge metal, stoner-psychedelic and heavy rock albums. The results are compiled and tabulated into the chart below. This is a one-stop shop for the best new albums in the world…
- VOLCANOVA – RADICAL WAVES
- THUNDERCHIEF – No Sufferance For Thy Fools
- MOONS – Go Out Swinging
- VOID MOON – THE AUTUMN THRONE
- GRAVE BATHERS – THE FEATHERED SERPENT
- HELLHOOKAH – THE CURSE
- BLACK RAINBOWS – COSMIC RITUAL SUPERTRIP
- CARDINAL’S FOLLY – DEFYING THE RIGHTEOUS WAY
- WARLUNG – OPTICAL DELUSION
- MOUNTAIN WITCH – EXTINCT CULTS
- ELECTRIC HYDRA – ELECTRIC HYDRA
- SUNYATA – THE GREAT BEYOND
- YATRA – BLOOD OF THE NIGHT
- DOPELORD – SIGN OF THE DEVIL
- OCEAN GATES – OCEAN GATES
- CANDLEMASS – THE PENDULUM
- GOATSNAKE – BREAKFAST WITH THE KING
- WITCHSKULL – A DRIFTWOOD CROSS
- RIVER OF SOULS – USURPER
- GRACELESS – WHERE VULTURES KNOW YOUR NAME
- EYE OF DOOM – CURSE OF THE PHAROAH
- SLEEPING VILLAGE – HOLY WATER
- NORTHERN CROWN – IN A PALLID SHADOW
- MOONSTONE – MOONSTONE
Doom is all about the riff … and there wasn’t a better album this year for riffs than the self-titled debut full length from Poland’s Moonstone. Considering that the band specializes in slow moving doom, there admittedly aren’t that many riffs here, but when each one rears its lumbering head and the band pounds it into your kidneys endlessly, you know that you’ve been sent out back for a beating. My sub-woofer will never be the same.
- HEX A.D. – ASTRO TONGUE IN THE ELECTRIC GARDEN
Is it prog, doom or hard rock? The answer is – yes. The other answer would be ‘who cares’, given the monumental song writing that can be found on this fourth full length from Norway’s Hex A.D.. This is one of those rare albums that demands multiple listens to ensure that you’ve got a handle on what’s being offered, and then more repeated listens just because every damn track is so good. Astro Tongue In The Electric Garden is not only my doom album pick of the year, it just may be my fave release of 2020, period.
One thought on “Doom Charts 2020 Favorites – Chris Tighe”
Yupp, hex was my fav of 2020 as well, and moonstone was my second. Great list!